Re: French deal may break deadlock between Google and publishers

Unless I'm missing something, I don't see what's new about this
kind of arrangement. Way back in 2005 U.S. publishers began
entering into agreements with Google in its Publisher program to
have Google digitize books. The suit arose out of an unsanctioned
arrangement Google struck up with libraries and Google's
challenge to the traditional practice of publishers opting in to
any such arrangement. The deal with Hachette looks very much like
the deals U.S. publishers have been making with Google for five
years now. This may be a "fresh start" for Hachette, but it isn't
for U.S. publishers.

Sandy Thatcher