From: owner-liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu [mailto:owner-liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu]
On Behalf Of Ken Masters
Sent: Wednesday, November 17, 2010 4:48 PM
To: liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu
Subject: RE: digital Beatles -- the mother of all licensing

Hi Michael

Oh, absolutely, there are plenty of other sites from which the
music can be, and is, downloaded.  I chose Youtube as an example
because it is so open, and is not a standard p2p network like
most of the others.  I think it's precisely that semblance of
legitimacy that makes it attractive, and the fact that the music
companies are not taking action even though it's in the public
eye.  Also, its user-interface is generally much more easily
navigable than most of those other sites.

Also, a lot of those sharing sites are blocked by universities,
but Youtube is generally not (well, in some countries, yes). So,
a student can sit in a computer lab on campus and download off
Youtube without much concern.

If the music companies ever change their minds, that might be a
different thing.

Regards

Ken

Dr. Ken Masters
Asst. Professor: Medical Informatics
Medical Education Unit
College of Medicine & Health Sciences
Sultan Qaboos University
Sultanate of Oman
E-i-C: The Internet Journal of Medical Education