Re: Charleston Presentation: Rick Anderson & Future Librarians

I think it is very important to change any perceptions students
may have that public service librarians are involved with tasks
and duties that include anything but assistance with their
information needs.  There are a number of ways that these kinds
of perceptions can be altered.  Spending time at student help
centers such as the Russell Conwell Center for student workshops
and tutoring at Temple in my case.  I prepared a research guide
for this group with source links for writing, reading, english
language, technology, math and science skills amongst other
content under the college learning center tab.

Russell Conwell Center Guide

http://guides.temple.edu/Russell-Conwell-Center

College Learning Center

http://guides.temple.edu/aecontent.php?pid=22756&sid=198763

So that students can benefit from quality resources without
having to learn at the outset how to deal with the complexities
of databases, I also stress the use of Meet the Googles types of
research for students newer to research or in IM chat encounters,
so that they have one or more links leading to content pertinent
to their research topics as a starting point.

Meet the Googles

http://www.google.com/search?q=%22meet+the+googles%22+and+
%22net-gold%22&hl=en&rls=DAUS,DAUS:2006-11,DAUS:en&filter=0

A shorter URL for the above link:

http://tinyurl.com/52t9hj

AND

http://sites.google.com/site/searchtoolsfamily/

I also include tools like SCIRUS in some of these encouters as
well as Google search tools.

http://tinyurl.com/28jb8kh

I have put huge chunks of information on Google Sites with links
from my appropriate research guides, such as links from the
guides to several published articles regarding where and how to
search databases and "the Googles".

Search Tools for Scholars 2010
DATABASE: SEARCH: TECHNIQUE
Database and Internet Search Tools
Search Tools for Scholars 2010 :
Database and Internet Search Tools
of Use to Scholars and Students in Sport Psychology
https://sites.google.com/site/searchtoolsforscholars2010/

Search Tools for Scholars 2006
SPORTS: PSYCHOLOGY  :
RESEARCH: METHODS AND TECHNIQUES :
DATABASES:
Database and Internet Search Tools of Use
to Scholars and Students in Sport Psychology
http://sites.google.com/site/searchtoolsforscholars2006/

Search Tools for Scholars 2008
DATABASE SEARCH TECHNIQUES :
SPORTS PSYCHOLOGY  :
RESEARCH TECHNIQUES:
Electronic Resources for Bibliographic Research i
n the Field of Sport Psychology
http://sites.google.com/site/searchtoolsforscholars2008/

https://sites.google.com/site/
generalinternetprintresources/Home/main-site-map

A shorter URL for the above link:

http://tinyurl.com/2c2ck9s

I also place links from my guides to substantial content
regarding the link on my Net-Gold discussion group including
webliographies, bibliographies and detailed information and links
to various parts of a specific resource.

WEBBIB1011

http://tinyurl.com/2clcg5h

Most importantly, I share this information with handouts to
classes and to students I encounter with invitations to phone me
or to make an appointment for help with research in my office.
In short, one can make inroads into changing the perception of
irrelevance that some students hold of librarians by aggressive
outreach in the form of both resources shared and personal
involvement with students individually to help them with their
research.

Sincerely,
David Dillard
Temple University