Re: Charleston Presentation: Rick Anderson & Future Librarians

Rick Anderson said:

"...we need to be careful not to assume that just because our
users need us, they will necessary register that need and act on
it.  If they don't believe they need us, the fact that they
arguably really do won't make much difference to our future."

Reminds me of a report I read recently. Some Illinois librarians
did an ethnographic study of library use. One of the sections of
the report was titled "Why Don't Students Utilize Librarians?"
The first paragraph of this section reads:

"While the majority of students we interviewed struggled with one
or more aspects of academic research, very few students sought
help from a librarian. In fact, one of the most striking aspects
of the ERIAL study was the near-invisibility of librarians within
the academic worldview of students, and is symptomatic of
students' general belief that librarians do not possess the
disciplinary expertise necessarily to provide sufficient
assistance with research assignments. When asked if she had ever
asked a librarian for help with a paper, a sophomore in
international studies replied, 'Not really actually. I've never
done that. I always assume librarians are busy doing library
stuff, and it's just not the first thing that pops into my head
when I think of a librarian, like helping with papers or paper
writing.'"

Full text at: http://bit.ly/a8HZVZ

Bernie Sloan