Japanese Library Consortia Join CLOCKSS

October 28, 2010, Stanford, CA - CLOCKSS is very pleased to
announce that the two major academic library groups in Japan have
joined the CLOCKSS archive: the Japanese Association of National
University Libraries (JANUL) and the Private and Public
University Libraries Consortia (PULC). JANUL consists of 92
libraries, while roughly 360 libraries are part of PULC. The
National Institute of Informatics in Japan (NII), which is a
CLOCKSS founding library and archive node, has been instrumental
in bringing about this partnership and expanding the support for
CLOCKSS to all academic libraries in Japan.

Jun Adachi, Professor and Director, Cyber Science Infrastructure
Development Department of NII, and CLOCKSS Board of Director
member, says, "We believe it is crucial for libraries located in
the Asia Pacific region, and particularly Japan, to take an
active role in preservation and have a voice in policies that
affect us all. CLOCKSS gives us an opportunity to participate in
this important international endeavor. Since joining the archive
node in February 2010, NII has collaborated with CLOCKSS by
leading an effort to facilitate the participation of Japanese
libraries. It is encouraging that we have gotten support this
time from university libraries in Japan as a whole."

Koichi Ojiro of JANUL consortium says, "As scholarly publications
on the web are becoming increasingly important for research and
education in academic institutions, it is a real challenge for
librarians to ensure their long term survival. I am very pleased
to announce JANUL's commitment to preserving digital scholarly
assets by participating in CLOCKSS."

Makoto Nakamoto of Waseda University Library shares this
enthusiasm, saying, "It is a pleasure to join CLOCKSS and join
our voices with this organization. CLOCKSS reinforces our values
by providing free access to content that is no longer available
from any publisher, and making sure that scholarly content will
always remain in the hands of libraries worldwide."

CLOCKSS Executive Director Gordon Tibbitts is "honored to partner
with Japan and count JANUL and PULC among the library groups that
support CLOCKSS. We believe that the best plan for long term
preservation is diversification, and this partnership will
greatly benefit CLOCKSS and the entire scholarly community."

About CLOCKSS

CLOCKSS (Controlled LOCKSS) is a not-for-profit joint venture
between the world's leading scholarly publishers and research
libraries whose mission is to build a sustainable, geographically
distributed dark archive with which to ensure the long-term
survival of web-based scholarly publications for the benefit of
the greater global research community. http://www.clockss.org.

About National Institute of Informatics in Japan (NII)

Founded in 2000, NII is Japan's only general academic research
institution with the goal of advancing integrated research and
development in information fields. Additionally, NII strives to
facilitate the advancement of cyber science infrastructure. In
2004 NII became a member of the Research Organization of
Information and Systems. http://www.nii.ac.jp/en/

About JANUL

Japan Association of National University Libraries (JANUL) is a
membership organization comprising libraries of national
universities in Japan, the University of the Air Library, library
facilities of four inter-university research institutes, totaling
92 libraries and library facilities. JANUL aims at supporting the
advancement of library functionality through close coordination
and cooperation among the members, promoting inter-library use of
scholarly information resources extensively, and contributing
development of infrastructures for scholarly information
distribution in order to help universities achieve their
missions. http://wwwsoc.nii.ac.jp/anul/index-e.html

About PULC

The Private and Public University Libraries Consortium (PULC) is
a membership organization of public and private university
libraries in Japan. Currently, a total of more than 360 private
and public universities participate in the consortium.

Gordon Tibbitts
Executive Director
Gordon.Tibbitts@clockss.org