PhD recruitment

Bearing in mind the fact that this list has members right across
the information chain most of whom are united in their devotion
to hard information and the results of research in areas of
common interest to all of us, I wonder if I may draw attention to
the opportunities for higher degrees both a range of taught
masters and (showcased here) doctoral studies. List members may
know UCL DIS formerly UCL SLAIS as the home of the CIBER research
group and the premier LIS school in the UK - but we cover as
listed below a range of related subject areas and we aim to
collaborate and cross-fertilize.

My colleague Dr. Elizabeth Shepherd, Reader, Archives and Records
Management and Departmental Graduate Research Tutor has asked me
to bring you attention to this notice. Obviously it is most of
interest to those resident in the UK, but we get an increasing
number of students from throughout the world. We have for example
ten students from North America studying for an MA in Publishing.

Dr. Shepherd writes:

UCL Department of Information Studies is a leading centre for
research in librarianship, information science, archives and
records management, publishing and digital humanities, in one of
the world's top universities. If you are considering doctoral
study in any of these areas, we would like to talk to you! We are
currently recruiting students to join our doctoral cohort from
September 2011. We have a doctoral scholarship from the Arts and
Humanities Research Council for which we are also inviting
applications.

We are holding an open evening on Thursday 25 November 2010 from
5-8pm and we would like to invite you to join us to hear more
about doctoral study in DIS and for you to find out about us and
ask questions. So that we can order sufficient refreshments,
please let us know if you plan to come on 25 November by email
to: infostudies-enquiries@ucl.ac.uk. If you want further
information about making an application for doctoral study,
please see:
http://www.ucl.ac.uk/infostudies/research/research-students/

If you have any questions, please feel free to get in touch with
Elizabeth Shepherd

I hope this message is of interest to many of you. Do please pass
it on.

Anthony Watkinson