Re: Role of arXiv

I can understand the motivational argument, and it appears to have
worked very successfully for arXiv. But that now has a long tradition
of practice behind it. The same cannot be said for many other areas
of scholarship, not least outside the hard sciences, and one wonders
what "subject" means exactly in this context. How subject-specific
does a repository need to be to be useful?  The American Sociology
Association, for instance, has over 40 official subgroups. Should
each of these subgroups have its own repository? Would one general
repository for sociology as a major field be at all useful?  It might
seem that the more subject-specific a repository is, the more useful
it would be. But doesn't the proliferation of niche repositories then
begin to duplicate the proliferation of journals themselves, so that
we would end up with one repository for each journal, which would
make no sense? And the more narrow repositories get, the greater the
problem arising for authors of having to make deposits in multiple
repositories. I suspect the strength of the motivation to deposit
would be in inverse proportion to the number of relevant
repositories, i.e., the greater the number of relevant repositories,
the less motivation there would be for submission.

Sandy Thatcher