From: Stevan Harnad <harnad@ecs.soton.ac.uk>
To: "Liblicense-L@Lists. Yale. Edu" <liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu>
Subject: Re: Role of arXiv

[SNIP]

No one wants Arxiv to disappear, but I'll bet that within a
decade Arxiv will just be an automated harvester of deposits from
authors' own institutional repositories, not a locus of direct,
institution-external deposit. In the age of Institutional
Repositories, it is no longer necessary -- nor does it make sense
-- for authors to self-archive institution-externally. It is also
a needless central expense to manage deposit centrally. It makes
much more sense to deposit institutionally and harvest centrally.

> My understanding is that arXiv is funded by a combination of
> support from Cornell, a large government grant, and
> contributions from other research universities.  If this
> funding were to disappear (I heard it was threatened a year or
> two ago), would arXiv be resurrected by the community?

Once all universities have IRs and IR self-archiving mandates,
there will be no need to fund repositories for
institution-external deposit. Harvesting is cheap. And each
university's IR will be a standard part of its online
infrastructure.

[SNIP]