Re: Role of arXiv

Responding here only to one point in Stevan Harnad's post, his
"bet" about the future configuration of repositories.

There appears to be a conflation of the ownership and control of
the physical infrastructure and the control of the services that
run on top of that infrastructure.  Many IRs today use
Cloud-based solutions--that is, a university has its "own"
branded IR, but the underlying technology is controlled by
another entity and the content deposited in that respository sits
in the data center of that other entity.  This is more likely to
be the way IRs develop over the coming years.  The notion that
universities would do all this generic IT work themselves simply
invites lower service levels and higher costs.  An IR should not
be a jobs program for IT professionals.  What should matter is
performance and cost.

In the toll-access world variants of this type of configuration
dominate.  Many traditional publishers use the services of
hosting companies like HighWire, Atypon Systems, and the service
arm of AIP. (Some hosting companies also provide an enterprise
solution whereby the hosting software is made directly available
to the client company, which in turn mounts the software on its
own data center.)  One variant is for a publisher to work with a
hosting company, which creates the software platform, but the
data center used is that of yet another third-party.  A
substantial amount of research material is in fact stored at a
data center owned and managed by IBM.  I doubt the authors or
their readers know this; in some instances I would bet that even
the publishers don't know this.

But this is not a theological argument.  Some institutions will
choose to "roll their own," others will opt for outsourcing
services--but never ever their brands--to other entities.  No
solution is perfect, though some solutions are better suited for
more institutions than others.

Joe Esposito