Role of arXiv

David Prosser's recent post on the deposit of articles in arXiv
by Nobel laureates prompts some musings.

What is the current uptake on arXiv for physics articles?  Is it
100%, that is, are there any articles in the field that are
published in traditional physics journals that do not appear in
arXiv?

Considering the centrality of arXiv to the physics community, it
is difficult to imagine that it would ever disappear (or that
anyone would want it to).  My understanding is that arXiv is
funded by a combination of support from Cornell, a large
government grant, and contributions from other research
universities.  If this funding were to disappear (I heard it was
threatened a year or two ago), would arXiv be resurrected by the
community?

Finally, once again taking the centrality of arXiv to the
community it serves into consideration, what would happen if a
modest deposit fee were assessed--say, $50 per article?  I am not
suggesting that this should or should not happen; I am simply
wondering what the outcome would be.  (BioMed Central, PLoS, and
Hindawi all charge more than this, though they provide additional
services.)  Would the number of deposits remain about the same?
Would the number drop?  And if it dropped, how precipitously?

Joe Esposito