Re: Looking for successful IRs

Universities and NII jointly work for various scholarly contents
to realize the next generation scholarly content infrastructure.
Institutional repositories are to serve for acquiring,
organizing, preserving, and disseminating such scholarly
information. They are a set of services by academic institutions
for their academic communities to manage and publish digital
contents they create.

To amplify the current content services and develop the next
generation scholarly content infrastructure, NII supports for
universities in Japan to introduce and operate institutional
repositories.

NII conducted a pilot project with 19 universities in 2005 ; in
2006, NII entrusted a full-fledged project of IR promotion to 57
universities selected among 77 applicants; and in 2007, the
project was extended with additional 13 universities.