RE: Update on Georgia State University's copyright infringement case

In my blog posting amplifying on Kevin Smith's post and found at
http://blog.librarylaw.com/librarylaw/2010/10/who-infringed-at-georgia-state.html,
I directed readers to my discussion of direct and indirect
infringement in "Copyright & Cultural Institutions."  You might
want to start there.

The normal standard for a contributory infringer is one who
knows, or has reason to know, of an infringing activity, and
induces, causes, or materially contributes to that  direct
infringement.

In the Georgia State case, there are at least two issues at play.
First, did a direct infringement occur?  You can't have
contributory infringement without a direct infringement.  Since
Section 107 of the Copyright Act lists "multiple copies for
classroom use" as one of the likely fair uses, this may be an
uphill fight.  Second, if we assume that direct infringement did
occur, did Georgia State contribute to that infringement?  Since
GSU's policy is aimed at ensuring students and faculty respect
copyright, that too may be a difficult argument.

As Kevin notes, the final decision will hinge on implementation
issues.  Should Georgia State, for example, have played a much
more direct role in monitoring and controlling what went on in
the classroom?  By not doing so, did it encourage or materially
contribute to infringement by students or faculty?  And if
Georgia State were to inset itself into the classroom, how would
that impact our traditional notions of academic freedom?

Peter Hirtle