Learned Publishing, October 2010 Issue, now available

>From the Editor:

Be a publishing cheat and go to jail. Issue 4, Learned Publishing
now out.

For all the talk around legal issues, scams, and naughty people
who seem to disappear with our money, how often, in your
experience, has anyone gone to prison?

Well, it's happened in China. Anyone who thought they didn't take
copyright seriously should read Zhigang Wang's article in the
latest issue of Learned Publishing, where he describes the
vicious infighting taking place there, particularly amongst
Chinese aggregators and academics. Fines are common, and two
perpetrators actually did get carted off.

Of course lawyers are also people who disappear with our money,
but totally correctly, of course. Continuing my preoccupation
with the dark side of publishing, we this time have an excellent
piece by a publishing lawyer on 'Plagiarism and the Law'. Despite
your prejudices, he's actually an interesting chap, and if you
wanted to know when plagiarism might be illegal, when it's not,
read a clear explanation of its relationship to copyright, and
even advice that can be very useful to publishers, check it out -
and when did you last get free useful advice from a lawyer?

Actually, this latest issue is a stonking (to use the technical
term) one - packed with relevant, useful and even interesting
articles - my thanks to ALPSP for giving me some extra pages.
Want to know what to do if considering using an aggregator? We
have an article giving you almost a step-by-step guide. Want to
know why your journal was or was not accepted for inclusion by
SCOPUS? We have an article, from the horse's mouth (i.e. Ove
Kahler at Elsevier), explaining how they make their evaluation,
in detail. This one is Open Access, so you don't even need a
subscription - but I'd prefer it if you had one.

Perhaps you're interested in e-books. Two articles for you. One
summarising the recent ALPSP survey, and showing up all the
different approaches, and when and how the commercial publishers
differ from societies in their approach (and they often do).
Another is a very timely research article trying to see, using a
sample of hundreds of books, whether making them OA makes any
difference to sales - I'm not going to tell you the answer,
you'll have to have a look.

Then for a bit more argy-bargy, we have an author's eye view
based on a bit of research in a developing country, on the types
of author conflict that arise over authorship itself, and
ordering of named authors, and things like that - plenty of
claims of victimisation, and not only from the juniors re the
seniors - now would that happen in the developed systems of
Europe and North America? - I think it would.

We're also not short of opinionated people - John Wilbanks thinks
it's about time we had a 'Web' for data, backed up by something
like creative commons licences; William Park, of DeepDyve fame,
gives the arguments that underpin not only his 99cents per
article approach, but in general of approaching different markets
differently; in a way, that's also the approach of a major
established RRO. The CCC, in an article by the CEO Tracey
Armstrong it makes the case for 'context-based' licensing i.e.
matching the product to the market need.

Then we do have a fascinating article on the development of
medical journals in China - it's fascinating to me because it
basically tells the story of medicine in China (and how that
correlates with journal development), and the influence of the
Western missionaries, as well as some more offbeat asides - e.g.
I hadn't realised that one of the reasons 'western medicine'
originally gained ascendancy was that it did, apparently,
actually work better than the traditional forms- but then the
traditional forms made a comeback. And there's a very mature and
open conclusion of a sort it would have been difficult to imagine
a few decades ago.

The last article to mention is another practical one - about EASE
guidelines for authors and translators, intended to help improve
the standards of written English (I'd better read it again for
these commentaries).

The issue is 'topped' by an editorial (from my North American
co-editor, Janet Fisher), and 'tailed' by some book reviews -
including one glowing one of a rights book. These 'bookends' to
the journal issue, as it were, are always Open Access. Janet
tackles the topic of 'what do you know about your users' habits',
and how important it is - a nice antidote to my 6-pager last time
which could have been read (especially if you only read the
title) as totally against knowing anything about them or what
they do.

At the time of writing, I have a couple of very good items for
next year, but like most editors, anxious that we can retain the
standard. We'll try.

Alan Singleton
Editor, Learned Publishing
editor@alpsp.org

All articles are free to all ALPSP and SSP members and to journal
subscribers; in addition, editorials, reviews and letters to the
Editors, as well as any articles where the author has taken up
the 'ALPSP Author Choice' OA option, are now free to all.  If you
would like to receive an email alert or RSS feed every time a new
issue goes online, all you have to do is sign up at:

http://alpsp.publisher.ingentaconnect.com/content/alpsp/lp

To obtain free access to the journal, ALPSP members should access
it via the ALPSP website

<http://www.alpsp.org/ngen_public/default.asp?ID=3D310>

If you do not have a username and password, please email
info@alpsp.org

***