NISO and UKSG Announce Five New KBART Endorsements

NISO and UKSG are pleased to announce the addition of five new
organizations as official endorsers of the joint recommended
practice, KBART: Knowledge Bases And Related Tools (NISO
RP-9-2010). [Available for free download from
http://www.niso.org/publications/rp/.] This Phase I publication,
published in January 2010, contains practical recommendations for
the timely exchange of accurate metadata between content
providers and knowledge base developers.

The most recent organizations to endorse KBART are: Alexander
Street Press; Annual Reviews; EBSCO Information Services;
Innovative Interfaces, Inc.; and Royal Society Publishing. These
companies join the American Institute of Physics, Ex Libris,
OCLC, and Serials Solutions on the list of formal endorsers. All
content providers, from major databases to small publishers, are
encouraged to publicly endorse the KBART Recommended Practice by
submitting a sample file to the KBART working group, at
kbart@niso.org. Endorsement is finalized once the file's format
and content has been reviewed and approved, and the provider has
made it publicly available (in line with the recommendations).

Sarah Pearson, E-Resources & Serials Coordinator at the
University of Birmingham and UKSG co-chair of the KBART Phase II
Working Group, stated, 'The joint NISO/UKSG working group is very
pleased that the uptake of the recommendations is gathering
momentum, as evidenced by the growth of formal KBART
endorsements. We have been actively working to promote the
benefits of implementing the recommendations, and are thrilled to
see that our message is getting through. We look forward to
seeing more progress in the future.'

KBART has also made a contacts registry
(http://sites.google.com/site/kbartregistry/) available for
content providers and knowledge base developers to register their
organization's information for downloading holdings metadata. The
registry provides a list of contacts, URLs, and instructions
relating to the transfer of e-resource metadata between content
providers and link resolvers. Companies that have formally
endorsed KBART are marked with a KBART logo on the registry.

KBART's Phase II work is underway to develop a second recommended
practice that will build on the Phase I recommendations.
Knowledge base providers and their customers (primarily academic
libraries) will benefit from provision of higher quality data by
content providers. Publishers will benefit from accurate linking
to their content and subsequently the possibility of increased
usage.

For more information on KBART and the current Phase II work,
visit www.uksg.org/kbart or www.niso.org/workrooms/kbart.

Cynthia Hodgson
NISO Technical Editor Consultant
National Information Standards Organization