Re: 11th Amendment (Re: Essay by Rick Anderson)

In a private message, Eric Massant reminded me that injunctive relief
against the culpable state officials was still possible despite the
11th Amendment. I replied as follows:

At 5:41 PM -0500 9/1/10, Sandy Thatcher wrote:
>Yes, I realize that, which is why I specifically said "suit for
>damages" in my posting. But when the discussion of this loophole was
>going on within AAP, everyone agreed that injunctive relief was not
>much of a deterrent, and that publishers would go crazy chasing down
>every individual state official who might have crossed the line. The
>embarrassment factor is a much more potent weapon here, i
>think--although it didn't prevent the University of California from
>copying software: BV Engineering vs. UCLA (1988). As Ken Crews
>summarized it:
>
>"In one notable case, a software producer sued UCLA, alleging
>infringement of it copyrighted programs. The federal district court
>dismissed the case against UCLA; the state university could not be
>held liable in federal court. The Court of Appeals affirmed that
>decision, and the U.S. Supreme Court refused to hear the case. The
>immunity of UCLA and other state institutions was established.

So, maybe even Phil Davis couldn't embarrass some universities enough! :)

Sandy Thatcher

--
Sanford G. Thatcher
8201 Edgewater Drive

"If a book is worth reading, it is worth buying."-John Ruskin (1865)

"The reason why so few good books are written is that so few people
who can write know anything."-Walter Bagehot (1853)