RE: Eliminating references in medical books

I agree with Mark that this is disturbing, although my slant on
it is slightly different from his. After some time spent browsing
the Expert Consult site, I come away with the conclusion that the
publisher views the physical book as an "extra" -- they are
primarily interested in selling access to the electronic version,
which, in addition to providing the references, provides access
to a number of additional "enhanced features."  You get fully
searchable text and, depending on the title, may have an image
library, videos, self-assessment questions, etc.  You can build
your own "online library of all your favourite medical titles".

Seen from this angle, the physical book is just a "transitional
object", intended to give the purchaser of the online version
something that they are a little more comfortable with, until
they can gradually be weaned away from needing a hard copy
artifact at all.  I think I can understand some of the marketing
strategy.  And they've got a long list of titles due to come out
over the course of the next year.

Viewed in this way, perhaps it doesn't violate Mark's basic
principle of scientific communication any more than a news story
does.  The latest NYT story about a hot NEJM article doesn't
supply the references either -- you have to go to the original
publication in order to do that.  In the case of the Expert
Consult titles, the "original publication" is the electronic
version, not the hard copy book.  The hard copy isn't "crippled"
-- it's just a shadow.  Ephemera.

Unfortunately, unlike the circumstance in my tenuous analogy,
nobody but the individual purchaser can go to the original
publication.  There's no library version, no site licensed
version, no way for the casual reader who might find value in the
content to get the full publication.  It can't be shared, can't
be borrowed, can't really become part of the full scholarly
discourse.

But from a marketing standpoint, perhaps those things are
irrelevant -- this is option #3 from Rick Anderson's article
referenced earlier in the week.  Find a way to market directly to
students and faculty.

Scott

T. Scott Plutchak
Director, Lister Hill Library of the Health Sciences
University of Alabama at Birmingham
tscott@uab.edu