RE: Journal puchase, journal licensing and the growth in open access

Hi All

As an academic, I take heart from Bill's assertion that
librarians can negotiate more strongly on some of these issues,
especially when publishers wish to terminate access to
previously-accessed literature. (Although the first time I heard
it, I didn't laugh, but nearly cried - and was tempted to
download back-copies of the journals like crazy.) Because, in my
opinion, although the _negotiator_ is the librarian, the
_customer_ is the reader - in academic institutions, this means
(primarily) academic staff and students.

I do, though, have a question for Bill, and perhaps others who
feel the same way.  Bill says that Open Access is "an answer
which just won't work beyond the short term."  Given that Open
Access has been around for (about) 15 years, and doesn't yet show
any signs of slowing, what is considered "short-term"?  I don't
mean this question rhetorically or sarcastically, I'm asking in
all seriousness - would you see OA lasting for another 20 years
or less?

Because a trend that I seem to see is that more and more
previously non-open access journals are offering articles and
entire editions as OA.  It's a completely non-scientific
impression, based purely on personal observations of the journals
I access, but the image I have is that the OA waters are rising
every day, and the non-OA journals are continually retreating to
higher ground, relinquishing more and more of their islands to
OA, and soon the only recourse may be to climb very tall trees.

Regards

Ken

Dr. Ken Masters
Asst. Professor: Medical Informatics
Medical Education Unit
College of Medicine & Health Sciences
Sultan Qaboos University
Sultanate of Oman
E-i-C: The Internet Journal of Medical Education