STM appoints Richard Gedye Director of Outreach Programmes

The following should be of interest.

STM APPOINTS RICHARD GEDYE DIRECTOR OF OUTREACH PROGRAMMES

Oxford, 1 September 2010

>From 1 January 2011, STM is pleased to announce that Richard
Gedye, currently Research Director at Oxford University Press,
will assume responsibility for STM's Outreach Programmes upon his
retirement from OUP. These programmes include Research4Life and
patientINFORM access initiatives, the ARDI patent project and
STM's activities with library organisations.

For the last ten years Research4Life and its separate HINARI,
AGORA, and OARE programmes, together with patientINFORM and ARDI
have been expertly developed and run by Maurice Long, who will be
retiring from STM at the end of 2010.

Richard Gedye has 19 years experience at OUP, where his
successive roles as head of journals marketing and sales have
brought him into extensive contact with all players in the
international academic research distribution chain - authors,
primary and secondary publishers, subscription agents, ILS
vendors, libraries and readers. Richard also founded and chairs
until the end of 2010 the usage statistics organisation COUNTER.

Michael Mabe, CEO of STM commented:

"I am delighted to welcome Richard to STM to continue our
historic support and coordination of these exceptional
humanitarian programmes. Maurice Long has been a key figure in
their success and will be much missed by all our partners and his
colleagues at STM. I am confident Richard's unique set of
abilities and experiences make him the ideal person to build and
develop further Maurice's ground-breaking work."

Speaking about his new appointment and role in the Research4Life
Programme, Richard Gedye commented,

"The three just-published reviews of the [Research4Life] Project
- User Experience, Infrastructure, and Literature - provide a
fitting tribute to the contribution Research4Life has made,
under Maurice Long's skilful guidance, to the planned
achievement of [the UN Development] goals by 2015. At the same
time they provide me with a timely roadmap ... As someone who
was involved almost from the start as a participant in the
projects that make up this programme, I feel excited and
privileged to be offered the opportunity to take on a deeper
involvement."

END

HINARi, AGORA and OARE, now known collectively as Research4Life,
provide full text access to more than 7,000 journals mainly
without charge to thousands of institutions in over one hundred
of the world's poorest countries.  Other partners in these
programmes include WHO, FAO, UNEP, Cornell and Yale Universities
and Microsoft Corporation. The Research4Life programmes are
linked to the UN Millennium Development Goals.

patientINFORM, jointly supported by STM and PSP (the Professional
and Scholarly Publishing Division of the American Association of
Publishers) is a free online service that provides patients and
their carers with access to some of the most up-to-date,
reliable, and important research available about the diagnosis
and treatment of specific diseases. In patientINFORM, consumers
have the ability to not only read the latest research, but also
to find help interpreting that information and accessing
additional materials.

ARDI is a partnership with WIPO (UN World Intellectual Property
Organization) to provide access to a range of core research
technical journals and other serial publications to patent
offices in more than 100 developing countries, including all the
50 Least Developed Countries.

STM is an international association of more than 100 scientific,
technical, medical and scholarly publishers, collectively
responsible for more than 60% of the global annual output of
research articles, 55% of the active research journals and the
publication of tens of thousands of print and electronic books,
reference works and databases. We are the only international
trade association equally representing all types of STM
publishers - large and small companies, not for profit
organizations, learned societies, traditional, primary, secondary
publishers and new entrants to global publishing.

Contact: For further information, contact Michael Mabe, STM,
Prama House, 267 Banbury Road, Oxford OX2 7HT, UK

tel: +44 1865 339324/fax: +44 1865 339325
e-mail: mabe@stm-assoc.org

Janice E. Kuta
Director of Membership & Marketing
STM - International Association of Scientific, Technical & Medical
Publishers
332 E. 18th Street, #12
New York, New York 10003
E-mail: kuta@stm-assoc.org