Re: volume control

Historians of the book will recall that when paperbacks were first
introduced they were what later came to be called "mass market"
paperbacks, in smaller formats with smaller type. Later, around the
mid-1970s, "trade" paperbacks came to be introduced in a larger
format with larger type, priced higher than mass market paperbacks
but still lower than hardbacks. E-books do indeed render this
distinction anachronistic.

One trend that I personally find annoying as I get older is the
decreasing size of footnotes, especially in scholarly works. If there
is any incentive for us older folks in resorting to e-books, it's the
option of adjusting the size of the type on the page!

Sandy Thatcher

--
Sanford G. Thatcher
8201 Edgewater Drive

"If a book is worth reading, it is worth buying."-John Ruskin (1865)

"The reason why so few good books are written is that so few people
who can write know anything."-Walter Bagehot (1853)