Fwd: Mandated and Unmandated Open Access: Comparing Green and Gold

--------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Yassine Gargouri  yassinegargouri -- hotmail.com
Date: Sat, Aug 28, 2010 at 2:27 PM
To: SIGMETRICS -- listserv.utk.edu

Jan Velterop has posted his hunch that of the overall percentage
of articles published annually today most will prove to be
articles in Gold OA journals, once one separates from the
articles classified as self-archived Green OA those self-archived
articles that are also published in Gold OA journals:

"Is anyone aware of credible research that shows how many
articles (in the last 5 years, say), outside physics and the
Arxiv preprint servers, have been made available with OA
exclusively via 'green' archiving in repositories, and how many
were made available with OA directly ('gold') by the publishers
(author-side paid or not)?
"The 'gold' OA ones may of course also be available in
repositories, but shouldn't be counted for this purpose, as their
OA status is not due to them being 'green'.
"It is my hunch (to be verified or falsified) that publishers
(the 'gold' road) have actually done more to bring OA about than
repositories, even where mandated (the 'green' road)."
--J. Velterop, American Scientist Open Access Forum, 25 August
2010
--http://bit.ly/VelteropHunch

The results turn out to go strongly contrary to Velterop's
hypothesis.

Our ongoing project is comparing citation counts for mandated
Green OA articles with those for non-mandated Green OA articles,
all published in journals indexed by the Thompson/Reuters ISI
database (science and social-science/humanities). (We use only
the ISI-indexed sample because the citation counts for our
comparisons between OA and non-OA are all derived from ISI.)

The four mandated institutions were Southampton University (ECS),
Minho, Queensland and CERN.

Out of our total set of 11,801 mandated, self-archived OA
articles, we first set aside all those (279) articles that had
been published in Gold OA journals (i.e., the journals in the
DOAJ-indexed subset of ISI-indexed journals) because we were
primarily interested in testing the OA citation advantage, which
is based on comparing the citation counts of OA articles versus
non-OA articles published in the same journal and year. (This can
only be done in non-OA journals, because OA journals have no
non-OA articles.) This left only the Green OA articles published
in non-Gold journals.

We then extracted, as control articles for this purely Green OA
subset, 10 keyword-matched articles published in the same journal
and year. The total number of articles in this control sample for
the years 2002-2008 was 41,755 (our preprint for PloS, Gargouri
et al. 2010, covers a somewhat smaller, earlier period:
2002-2006, with 20,982 control articles).

Next we used a robot to check what percentage of these control
articles was OA (freely accessible on the web).

Of our total set of 11,801 mandated, self-archived articles, 279
articles (2.4%) had been published in the 63 Gold OA journals
(2.6%) among the 2,391 journals in which the authors from our
four mandated institutions had published in 2002-2008. Both these
estimates of percent Gold OA are about half as big as the total
5% proportion for Gold OA journals among all ISI-indexed journals
(active in the past 10 years). ?To be conservative, we can use
the higher figure of 5% as a first estimate of the Gold OA
contribution to total OA among all ISI-indexed journals.

Now, in our sample, we find that out of the total number of
articles published in ISI-indexed journals by authors from our
four mandated institutions between 2002-2008 (11,801 articles),
about 65.6% of them (7,736 articles) had indeed been made Green
OA through self-archiving by their authors, as mandated (7,457 or
63.2% Green only, and 279 or 2.4% both Green and Gold).

In contrast, for our 42,395 keyword-matched, non-mandated control
articles, the percentage OA ?was 23.4% (21.9% Green and 1.5%
Gold).

Bjork's et al's (2010) corresponding figures for his ISI sample
(1282 articles for 2008 alone, calculated in 2009), was 20.6% OA
(14% Green, 6.6% Gold).

The variance is probably due to discipline blends in the samples,
but whichever sample and figures one chooses ? whether our 21.9%
Green and 1.5% Gold or Bjork's et al?s 14% Gold and 6.6% Green,
the figures fail to bear out Verlterop?s prediction that:

"publishers (the 'gold' road) have actually done more to bring OA
about than repositories, even where mandated (the 'green' road)."
--http://bit.ly/VelteropHunch

Moreover (and this is really the most important point of all),
the hunch is the wrongest of all precisely for where OA is
mandated, for there the percent Green is over 60%, and headed
toward 100%. That is the real power of Green OA mandates.

Yassine Gargouri

Gargouri, Y., Hajjem, C., Lariviere, V., Gingras, Y., Brody, T.,
Carr, L. and Harnad, S. (2010) Self-Selected or Mandated, Open
Access Increases Citation Impact for Higher Quality Research.
PLOS ONE (under review)
http://eprints.ecs.soton.ac.uk/18493/

Bjork B-C, Welling P, Laakso M, Majlender P, Hedlund T, et al.
(2010) Open Access to the Scientific Journal Literature:
Situation 2009. PLOS ONE 5(6): e11273.
http://dx.plos.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0011273 .