ScienceDirect and Scopus to Developing Country Researchers

Amsterdam, August 27th, 2010 - Elsevier and the Royal Tropical
Institute (KIT) in Amsterdam announced on 26th of August the
signing of a Memorandum of Understanding providing 150
researchers working in least-developed and low-income countries
with access to ScienceDirect and Scopus. Elsevier and KIT's
department Information & Library Service (KIT ILS) in Amsterdam
are collaborating on this unique public-private partnership to
drive capacity building in information technology and management
in the developing world. The new agreement will expand access for
five years while sharing best practice in research and training.

"Elsevier and KIT have a long and productive relationship. The
continuation of this initiative provides our partners in the
South with access to a wealth of information that is directly
relevant to their research. The association of the program with
the Elsevier Foundation and Research4Life provides both
recognition and sustainability. It is a privilege for KIT ILS to
act as an intermediary in a co-operative effort that so closely
matches our departmental and institutional goals," said Hans van
Hartevelt, Director of KIT Information & Library Services. Jan
Donner, CEO of KIT agrees: "This is a unique project which
definitely matches our institutional goals. We are very proud
that we can realize this together with Elsevier as an innovative
co-partner."

"We are very happy to support the critical work that the Royal
Tropical Institute is doing to drive access, usage and authorship
in key developing world institutes, bringing key researchers
closer to their peers and individual research communities around
the world," said David Ruth, Executive Director of the Elsevier
Foundation and Senior Vice President Global Communications,
Elsevier. "This carefully targeted initiative is part of our
overall effort with Research4Life and the Elsevier Foundation, to
provide clinicians, researchers and policymakers in the
developing world with access to the information they need to
address critical health and sustainability challenges."

Daviess Menefee
Elsevier
Library Relations