From: owner-liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu on behalf of elizabeth.winter@library.gatech.edu
Sent: Tue 8/24/2010 5:07 PM
To: liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu
Subject: Coursepack question - Xanedu

Hi--

I'm curious if any of you have had licensing inquiries from your
college bookstore or, more directly, from XanEdu (a company many
college bookstores employ to generate their coursepacks).

XanEdu contacted our library recently to find out if we could
provide them with a list of electronic journals we license that
allow for use in coursepacks.

I'm of two minds about this:

If it would help our students' coursepacks cost less (since
presumably anything we already have coursepack rights to
would--at least theoretically--reduce the permissions costs) then
helping XanEdu might be worthwhile.

On the other hand, according to their web site, XanEdu offers a
copyright compliance guarantee whereby they indemnify all
customers against damages that arise as a result of infringement
claims. If the library were to provide a list of journals with
licensed coursepack rights, then could we possibly be opening
ourselves up to liability issues (for example, if we interpreted
a license more broadly than the publisher would, or if there was
some miscommunication or misunderstanding between XanEdu and the
library)?

Any thoughts or anecdotes from experience will be appreciated.

Many thanks,

Elizabeth L. Winter
Electronic Resources Coordinator
Collection Acquisitions & Management