RE: Article on peer review

Hi All

Thanks for the article which raises a host of interesting issues.
(Although I'm not sure that your description of "post-publication
peer review" is entirely accurate - in this instance, the
"journal posted online four essays not yet accepted for
publication" so the web-based review was performed prior to
publication.)

I'm sure we all know most of the problems with standard
peer-review: in the back of my mind is the fear caused by the
fact that the peer-review is done by a non-random sample of 3-5
people; hardly a convincing basis on which to determine overall
quality.  Especially, if the paper pushes the limits, or
questions a practice that one of the reviewers holds dear.

The model described in the paper does have a great advantage, I
think. Not only increasing the quality of the paper, but having
to post comments publicly, and not anonymously, might result in
increasing the quality of the reviewers' comments.  For example,
I'm sure we've all seen inane general review comments like "Does
not meet scientific standards" with no further details provided.
Or the balancing act one treads when one reviewer insists that
more detail is required in one section, and a second reviewer
complains that the same section is far too detailed.  Or when
reviewers themselves don't know the referencing style of the
journal, and insist that changes be made.  My favourite is "I
don't understand this" with no further explanation - to which,
under normal circumstance, the response might be "well, perhaps
you should get to know the subject area more thoroughly."
Instead the author has to water down the explanation so that it
may be understood by a high school student - and then weather the
storm of complaints when the finished article is criticised for
being laborious and over-simplistic.  (Yes, one can defend, but
defences always have to be so delicate for fear of upsetting
reviewers' egos, that sometimes it's just not worth it).  Or when
reviewers seem to be using the opportunity to display their own
knowledge, rather than to comment on a paper with a view to
getting a quality publication.

On the other hand, it is possible that some of these problems
with standard peer-review would be exacerbated if there were 40,
50, 100? peoples' comments that would have to be taken into
account by the authors before the paper could be published.

One only has to look at the number of online comments generated
by articles in journals like the BMJ - if the authors had to
address all of these _before_ publication, would they have
bothered?  (And then there are the inevitable "Me too's"
(disguised as new insightful inputs), one-upmanship, or the
bun-fights that start between commentators while the authors wait
patiently).

But, in spite of my listing some complaints about peer-review, it
still works, mostly.  Perhaps, the current system (such as that
by the BMJ), peer-review by a small group, and then allowing
readers' comments _after_ publication (to extend research and
debate) is more viable.  (I think, closer to what Joe calls
"post-publication peer review.")  Not perfect, I'll warrant, but
it strikes the balance between getting a wide range of comments
without delaying publication.  Of course, to be really effective,
the article would have to be open access, but that is a personal
prejudice, and a fight I can't have today :-).

Regards

Ken

Dr. Ken Masters
Asst. Professor: Medical Informatics
Medical Education Unit
College of Medicine & Health Sciences
Sultan Qaboos University
Sultanate of Oman
E-i-C: The Internet Journal of Medical Education