Re: Study suggests Google Book Search Helps Publishers A Lot More Than It Hurts Them

This paper suffers from the "first inning problem":  take a
statistical snapshot when the game has just begun and extrapolate
the results at the end.  I have no idea what the legal meaning of
fair use is, but I don't think that Google's mass digitization
can be said to have yet affected book sales one way or the other.
We don't know what is going to happen ten years from now, and we
don't know how Google will enhance their digitized collections.
For that matter, we don't know (and we may never know) how
publishers might have learned to exploit these books digitally
had they not been preempted by Google. And while we are at it,
let's not forget the real significance of mass digitization:
data mining--that is, creating databases for machines to sift
through, not for people to purchase at their local bookshop.

The jury will be out for some time on the implications of the
Google project.

Joe Esposito