p-books persist

I still prowl the aisles of planes and trains counting p- vs. e-
books, with p- well ahead.  Today I had a DC cab driver of
interest. He was, as they all are, a gentleman of mature years
driving a vehicle General Motors has forgotten why it made; I
forgot to check to see if the "service engine soon" light was lit
as DC taxi practice requires that it be.  But when I got in, he
was on the phone with his favorite daughter, and I perked up at
the comment that he'd look for something at home tonight, but
they gave away the VCR they weren't using and moved things around
and there's such a lot of books he's not sure where the something
was, but he'd find it tonight.  So when he got off the phone, I
said, I'm a professor and couldn't help noticing you said you had
a lot of books.  What kind of books do you have and do you like?
Oh, he said, smiling broadly, well, for me, really, Shakespeare
is the best, just the best, and then I have books of all kinds,
some by Caribbean authors.  Ah, I said, so do you have things by
C.L.R. James?  OH, YES!, he said, see, I am Guyanan, just like
him.  So his book about cricket, I said, the one called *Beyond a
Boundary*?  Yes, yes, he said, laughing with delight and pounding
his hands on the steering wheel.  We were just getting to
destination, and I left him saying, I wish I had known you were
interested, yes, so delightful.

Score one for the literary tradition and the working man's
commitment to it.

(Small digression:  if you *don't* know James and *Beyond a
Boundary*, it definitely gets a Michelin third star.  It's
notionally about cricket, but it's really about being a colonized
British subject who buys into the British empire as
enthusiastically as any but with ambivalences.  Just a gorgeous
book:  I must have read it three times so far.  James grew up
actually in Trinidad playing cricket and obsessively reading and
rereading Thackeray, then went to the UK to ghost-write a
cricketer's autobiography, fell in with Jomo Kenyatta, came to
the States and got deported for general Trotskyite mopery, and
wrote many splendid books, including The Black Jacobins (history
of the Haitian revolution) and Mariners, Renegades, Castaways,
and Thieves (his take on Moby-Dick, written on Ellis Island in
detention while fighting deportation).  Patriotic enthusiasm or
not, a taste that embraces Shakespeare and James is pretty
commendable in any reader.)

Jim O'Donnell
Georgetown