Re: ebook acquisition collectives

The reason I focused on monographs was that i believe Eric's
proposal was aimed in that direction, not at trade or others
types of books that university presses may publish. I wouldn't
expect, nor would he, I imagine, that his proposal would apply
across the board to all press titles. But, as I explained,
publishing monographs (and scholarly journals) was the original
rationale for university presses to exist in the first place, and
it was only because of the economic pressures exerted on presses
by the serials crisis and its impact on monograph sales that
presses began diversifying their lists in the way they did and to
the extent they did. (Publishing regional books preceded this
crisis, but it remains a special case.)

Joe may be right that over time, as the role of
bricks-and-mortars stores continues to decline, trade books may
become less distinctive as far as discounting is concerned. but
they likely will continue to be more expensive to publish because
the marketing needed to make them successful will be as expensive
as, perhaps more expensive than, it is now.

I would hope, in any case, that the fate of university presses
does not ultimately rest on what happens with trade books and
their markets.

Sandy Thatcher