Re: ebook acquisition collectives

Mary is correct that it was decades ago when libraries
constituted the principal market for university presses, but in
those days back in the 1960s one could sell around 3,000 copies
of a typical monograph to libraries. The erosion of sales to
libraries became recognized in the early 1970s after a famous
1975 NSF study by librarians Bernard Fry and Herbert White
documented the beginnings of the "serials crisis" that resulted
in a dramatic shift of library acquisitions away from books
toward journals (as reflected in the many ARL charts over the
years since).

It was as a result of that shift that presses began making major
changes in their operations and editorial programs, as recounted
in a series of articles in Scholarly Publishing by the managers
of Princeton University Press where I was a junior editor at the
time. (All of this is described in some detail in my article
here:
http://www.arl.org/resources/pubs/specscholmono/thatcher.shtml.)
Among the editorial changes were moves to diversify the mix of
books presses published, adding paperbacks, reference books,
regional titles, trade books, and even fiction and poetry, so
that presses would be freed from total dependence on the vagaries
of library budgets.

This tactic certainly succeeded for a while, and through the
1980s presses expanded their lists considerably, adding these new
types of books while not cutting the numbers of monographs.
(Herbert Bailey, Princeton's former director, did a study for the
AAUP that documented this trend in the 1980s: The Rate of
Publication of Scholarly Monographs in the Humanities and Social
Sciences 1978-1988 (AAUP, 1990).

However, as I revealed in a follow-up mini-survey, "Scholarly
Monographs May Be the Ultimate Victims of the Upheavals in Trade
Publishing." Chronicle of Higher Education (Oct. 10, 1990):
B2-B3, that trend was beginning to change, as presses continued
to diversify but not expand further, with the result that fewer
monographs were being published as more presses picked up the
"mid-list" trade books that commercial publishers were
abandoning. (Trade books, to answer Joe's question, are defined
by the discounts assigned to them, though a few presses, like
North Carolina, have a mid-range discount between short and long
that might muddy the waters for those presses in defining which
titles are which.)

At the same time, there was considerable enthusiasm for seeing
university presses as having a larger cultural role to play, and
among the most outspoken champions of this cause was Ken Arnold,
then director of Rutgers University Press, who boasted that his
press would soon be publishing no monographs at all!  I tried to
raise an alarm about the consequences of this "cultural
revolution" in an address to the AAUP annual meeting in 1991
titled "Back to Basics" (the text of which may be found here:
http://www.psupress.org/news/SandyThatchersWritings.html).

University presses got excited about more trade possibilities,
however, when the chain superstores entered the scene in the
mid-1990s and lots more shelf space became available. But it soon
became apparent that this was more illusion than reality as these
stores would not stock any short-discount books and would recycle
unsold trade books every 90 days, resulting in much waste in the
system and a large hike in returns. Amazon and then Google also
came upon the scene in the late 1990s as game changers, but over
time it became apparent that their effect was more on the "long
tail" than on trade books.

Meanwhile, independent bookstores--long the best friends of
university presses as they had stocked many short-discount
titles--continued to close down, and newspapers began to drop
their book review sections. By 2005 general trade titles from
university presses were no longer viewed as the path to salvation
they had once been dreamed to be (with the exception of regional
titles, which have continued to do well for university
presses--but that's another story). Mostly, the high costs and
high risks of trade publishing meant that only the largest and
wealthiest presses could successfully play in this space.

At the same time, with budgets tightening everywhere,
universities began to re-examine the roles that presses play. The
2007 Ithaka Report should have made clear to every university
press that if its mission was not well aligned with its parent
university's, its argument for subsidization could be in
jeopardy. A press not publishing many monographs or academic
journals--the raison d'etre of university press publishing from
earliest days--would be asked by its parent university what it
was doing for the advancement of scholarship; the general
enlightenment or entertainment of the broad public would no
longer suffice as a satisfactory rationale. I give you the fate
of SMU Press, heavily involved in fiction publishing, as exhibit
A.

This is a long preamble as a further response to Joe because,
despite Mary's protestations, I do not think most university
presses any longer see trade publishing as a viable way out of
economic difficulty, and many--chastened by the Ithaka study--are
retreating to a more traditional role of publishing scholarly
work, which depends on the health of the library market to
survive--even though that market is now one sixth of what it was
back in the 1960s (500 copies instead of 3,000).

In the study Joe cites, he does not reveal the identities of the
30 presses where he did his interviews. He does acknowledge four
press directors from California, MIT, Michigan, and Rutgers. If
this reveals the nature of his sample, it is heavily skewed
toward presses that still engage in a lot of trade publishing
(though Michigan less so than the others).

I checked with the now retired business manager at Penn State
Press (who had been in the business for over 35 years) to confirm
my recollection that 45% to 50% of our sales (in dollars) were to
Baker & Taylor (thus mainly to libraries), with about 30% to 35%
to Amazon (an indeterminable number of which were resold to
libraries), 25% to college stores (mainly paperbacks for course
use), and less than 5% direct sales to individuals. Perhaps Penn
State was a bit ahead of the curve in retreating from the trade
market, but I would argue that for presses below the top two
tiers, library sales will become a greater proportion of overall
sales, not less. Perhaps Joe could give us more data about which
presses were included in his sample, at least by AAUP tier, so
that we can judge how representative his figures are compared
with mine.

There is one statement in Joe's report that I found quite
surprising:

>Amazon is the single largest element in university press
>publishing today. To recap some of the "statistical snapshot" in
>Part One, based on the information provided by the presses,
>online booksellers (principally Amazon) now comprise about 25
>percent of total dollar volume for the presses. That figure
>includes estimates of the sales that the presses make to
>wholesalers (primarily Ingram and Baker & Taylor) that are then
>shipped to Amazon (and Amazon then sells these books to its
>customers). The significance of this figure (that is, the 25
>percent of total volume) is that ten years ago, Amazon's sales
>of press titles were literally zero. During that decade, the
>total press sales, when adjusted for inflation, probably have
>not grown at all. Thus Amazon has gone from 0 to 25
percent in ten years in a flat market.

What surprises me here is the claim that one can estimate what
proportion of sales to Ingram and B&T are resold to Amazon. Penn
State's former business manager confirmed my impression that this
is information that would be impossible to know, even as an
estimate, without being privy to the internal sales reports of
these two major wholesalers, and to my knowledge, no university
press has that kind of access.

I think the figures Joe reports, then, need to be taken with a
certain grain of salt. Absent more disclosure about his sources
and insider knowledge of other businesses that I doubt anyone has
outside those companies, his figures are at least reflective of
only a segment of university press publishing.

Sandy Thatcher

P.S. As for selling assets, yes, sometimes a press will sell a
journal to another publisher, or even a set of books in an area
where the press no longer actively publishes, but these are
marginal and infrequent activities. And it is extremely rare for
a press itself to be sold by its parent university, though
examples do exist, as with Iowa State Press, sold by the
university to Blackwell Scientific a decade or so ago.

****