Re: ebook acquisition collectives

I would question Joe's figure of 75% sales to individuals. That may be the case for trade books published by some of the larger presses like Harvard, Princeton, and Yale, and it no doubt is even at the low end for sales of regional titles. But I very much doubt that it is anywhere close to being accurate for sales of scholarly monographs, even those published by the largest presses. It is no accident that Baker & Taylor remains the largest customer for most university presses, and even though Amazon is in a strong second place for many presses, we know from an AAUP marketing survey that libraries also purchase through Amazon. If I were to hazard a guess based on my experience at Penn State, I would say that 75% represents the proportion of sales that go to institutions, and for many titles it would even be closer to 90% (especially those that never make it into paperback).

In the scenario I depicted, the originating publisher would not give up the right to provide POD editions even though the monographs would be made available as OA ebooks. That is still a service the publisher could provide and derive income from. The publisher could also use a Creative Commons "non-commercial" license to preserve rights for commercial re-use (though I have my doubts about the conceptual basis for the distinction between "commercial" and "noncommercial").

In talking about "sale of a piece of the publisher's company," Joe obviously has commercial academic publishers in mind. University presses are not in this sense "for sale." And those who "own" university presses are not driven by profit motives and do not generally think in terms of ROI. So there is no "asset" involved if the books are being purchased from university presses.

Sandy Thatcher