Re: ebook acquisition collectives

As a long-time advocate of open-access monograph publishing,
given a business model that works for this type of publication, I
find the suggestions here (and in the linked blog post) quite
intriguing.

In answer to the final question (#7), I offer a few thoughts.

Besides the "free rider" problem that Eric takes note of in his
blog, to which I don't think he has a completely satisfactory
answer, I wonder about how university presses would go about
deciding on which books to publish as e-books. On Eric's model, a
library collective presumably makes its choices only after a
press has incurred a significant amount of "first copy" costs,
and perhaps even gone ahead and done a first printing. Is he
proposing that the collective reach its decisions BEFORE any
decision to print is made? This could be done, perhaps, on the
basis of press seasonal catalogues, but books included in those
seasonal catalogues are scheduled for printing over the entire
span of six months or so that the catalogue covers. What about a
book due to be published in February announced in a Spring
catalogue that only goes to press in December? Is the collective
going to be able to reach a decision that quickly and communicate
its order to the press before any books get printed? What kind of
streamlined decisionmaking process does he have in mind to deal
with this potential problem?

Currently, presses make a significant amount of income selling
scholarly monographs in paperback editions for course adoption.
Not all monographs have such a market, of course, but a
substantial number do. That market gets wiped out, under Eric's
scenario (as does also revenue coming from permissions for reuse
in coursepacks and e-reserve systems), since the ebooks would be
readily available for such uses at no charge. That's a good
thing, in principle, but it does mean that the collective's
purchase would have to cover the ENTIRE publishing costs for any
ebook published in the proposed manner, since secondary markets
like this would be sacrificed to the greater good of open access.
How do librarians feel about picking up ALL the costs for
monographs, only part of which their budgets are covering now? (A
more accurate range for the cost of publishing an average
monograph would be $25,000 to $35,000, though about a quarter of
those costs are associated with making a book available in print,
viz., paper, printing, binding, and warehousing.)

I've always felt that OA monograph publishing would be a way for
the U.S. to contribute to the foreign aid of underdeveloped
countries, making available a range of valuable scholarship in
book form to these countries at no cost to them beyond an
Internet connection and the needed hardware and software. But
since all foreign sales would be sacrificed also (which, for some
presses, can be as high as 20% of their gross sales, though
typically it's closer to 5% to 10%), how do librarians feel about
covering the costs that would otherwise be paid out of foreign
sales revenues?

I do think there could still be some residual income, under
Eric's scheme, for presses in providing POD editions of these
ebooks through vendors like Lightning Source and what used to be
called Book Surge and possibly even Espresso book machines sited
in libraries. In fact, that source of income is what is mainly
funding some OA monograph publishing programs that are in
existence at a number of presses, including my former press Penn
State.

As long as these books all go through the regular peer-review
procedures that university presses provide, I should think
academic authors would be delighted to have their monographs
available OA to the world. It's much better for them to have many
more eyes looking at their books than the number that can
feasibly access them when only 400 copies exist on the shelves of
academic libraries--or even, if some of the consortial,
subscription-based ebook schemes Eric notes come into existence
and broaden the reach to probably most ARL libraries and their
associated campus communities, at least. The foreign exposure, in
particular, would be extremely valuable to scholars in a number
of fields that are very internationally focused, like art
history.

But the problem does remain for fields like art history that the
digital rights for the images crucial to such books are
difficult, if not impossible, to obtain--which means that for a
while Eric's proposal could be a solution only for fields where
significant rights issues do not exist.

Anyway, his is a very forward-looking proposal, which deserves
wide discussion. How about a panel on this at the Charleston
conference in November. (Katina, are you reading this?)

Sandy Thatcher

>I've been exploring the possibilities for open-access ebook
>acquisition collectives, with a bit of a twist.
>
>My logic goes like this.
>
>1.Ideally, libraries should be providing access to content to
>anyone for free
2.Therefore, libraries should be trying to acquire rights to