follow up re: end user indemnification

Hi, again, all- I have gotten some requests for a report on what
I learned from my Counsel's office, so I thought I would share.
Here is what I found out:

There is no *legal* reason that my institution would need to
prohibit our library patrons from entering into a click-through
agreement with a vendor that requires end users to indemnify the
vendor, as long as the patrons agree only for themselves and not
on behalf of the university.  In other words, it is legally
acceptable for our patrons to sign/click through this kind of
agreement; there is no prohibition against it. In light of this,
it is completely up to our campus libraries to decide whether we
want to create a policy that says we will not pass on such
end-user agreements to our patrons.  I am not sure how all the
libraries on my campus feel about this; it would take some
discussion to come to an agreement.  As of now, we have no such
policy.

Our Counsel's office suggested that we could try these options:

1.We could create some sort of intermediate click-through screen
for our patrons that indicates that when they agree to the
vendor's click-through, they are taking on the risk of
indemnifying the vendor. I think that the likelihood that patrons
would read and/or understand this is low, however.

2.We could simply walk away from the contract and hope that the
vendor is willing enough to secure our business that they would
allow us to get rid of the end user indemnification (or perhaps
even the whole end user agreement). I am not sure how it will
work out in this particular case, but this seems like the better
option to me.

Sorry that this is not ideal.  I would appreciate it if vendors
would not create end-user agreements at all but rather rely on
the institutional license.

--Rebecca