NISO Seeking Feedback on Institutional Identifier Midterm Report

The NISO Institutional Identifier (I2) Working Group (WG) has
released a midterm report:
http://www.niso.org/workrooms/i2/midtermreport/

The NISO I2 WG is soliciting feedback on the report and guidance
for the next steps in developing this standard from individuals
and groups involved in the digital information transactions.
Stakeholders include publishers/distributors, libraries,
archives, museums, licensing agencies, standards bodies, and
service providers, such as library workflow management system
vendors and copyright clearance agencies. Anyone involved at any
level in the distribution, licensing, sharing or management of
information is invited to participate.

Please read the information below and participate in the
evaluation of our midterm work by reading the midterm release
document and answering a few questions about each development
area. You are the stakeholders for this information standard. We
must work to ensure that it meets your needs, so your input is
very valuable and important to us.

BACKGROUND: NISO established the working group in 2008 to develop
an institutional identifier (I2) to uniquely identify
institutions engaged in the digital information workspace. The
goal of the I2 Working Group is to develop an institutional
identifier that is globally unique, robust, interoperable,
scalable and able to integrate smoothly with current digital
information workflows. The working group is currently at the
midterm of its efforts and hopes to complete its draft
specification by December, 2010. Community input was requested
through surveys and conferences to refine the objectives, create
the metadata and identify scenarios of need. We are currently
soliciting midterm review to provide confirmation of our work to
date, course correction as needed and to ensure that we have
identified and are addressing all the issues surrounding this
critical enabling standard.

THE PROBLEM SPACE: Obtaining, using, sharing, storing and
managing information often involves multiple institutions across
the digital information space. These institutions must be able to
identify each other and to trust that the identification is both
correct and unique. The information managed may itself be digital
(e.g., the licensing of an e-book) or analog information that is
managed over the digital information space (e.g., interlibrary
loan of a physical book). Currently, there are many identifiers
in use, ranging from simple naming to established codes. However,
no single identifier that is globally unique, trustworthy, and
able to capture relationships among institutions and variant
legacy identifiers for institutions currently exists. As a
result, transactions are locked into proprietary workflow silos
and management of all the digital information activities of an
institution are not integrated.

THE PROPOSED SOLUTION: The I2 is proposed as a globally unique,
robust, scalable and interoperable identifier with the sole
purpose of uniquely identifying institutions. The I2 consists of
two parts: an identifier standard that includes the metadata
needed to uniquely identify the organization -- including
documenting relationships with other institutions that are
critical for establishing identity -- and a framework for
implementation and use.

The I2 is envisioned as a simple, core identifier with the sole
purpose of identifying institutions in a robust and trustworthy
manner. Workflow-specific implementations, such as regional ILL
collaborations or ebook licensing services, will leverage the I2.

THE BENEFIT: Institutions will only have to request and reuse a
single identifier. Institutions will be able to robustly identify
every institution engaged in an information transaction.
Institutions that engage in many different information
transactions or that work with many different institutions will
be able to track and manage institutional activities across
multiple workflows through the use of a single, authoritative
identifier.

The Midterm status report and review survey are available at the
following link. Please respond by August 2, 2010.

http://www.niso.org/workrooms/i2/midtermreport/

Thank you very much for your support of this lynchpin digital
information standard. Your input is very valuable to us and will
be carefully studied and considered. Please download the report
and keep it open to assist you in completing the survey.

[Note: This message has been cross-posted to obtain wide input.]

Cynthia Hodgson
NISO Technical Editor Consultant
National Information Standards Organization