Re: paper on citations

Perhaps a more accurate title for this article should have read:

"Confounding: how simple, bibliometric analysis can reveal
spurious relationships with the citation process."

You will note that specific title words (like randomized trial)
and acronyms (signifying large, multi-center trials) were
associated with higher citation rates than titles with pediatric
words (child(ren), infant), as well as titles with specific
country names.

The citation association with longer titles may simply reflect
standards in the proper reporting of medical trials, see:
http://www.consort-statement.org/consort-statement/title-and-abstract/

On a related note, I remember a similar article pondering whether
humourous titles were cited any more frequently.

Punch line: they were not.

--Phil Davis