Re: Book-scanning projects - a question

Many university presses, some in cooperation with libraries on
their campuses, have been busily digitizing pre-2000 (after which
books were "born digital") books for some years, in anticipation
of selling them as e-books or licensing them through aggregators,
if they are not large enough to do direct selling themselves (in
the manner of Oxford Scholarship Online). Even before then,
presses began sending older titles to companies like Questia,
netLibrary, and ebrary, which then digitized them and sold them
to their own customers. So there are now large numbers of
post-1923 titles in electronic form and more are becoming
available every year.