RE: Springer Open Choice uptake affects 2011 journal pricing

Anthony,

I am responding on behalf of John and myself as the authors of
the ALPSP journal publishing practice surveys.  Unfortunately, we
did not ask the question about page and colour charges so I do
not have data that I can share with the list.  Hopefully this is
something that can be explored in the next version of the survey.

However, from our collective experience, the publishers that do
charge page charges are some, but not all, of the US learned
societies.  Colour charges are charged by some publishers, but
only if the colour is to appear in the printed version of the
journal, there would be no charge for colour in the online
version.

Kind Regards

Laura Cox
Managing Director
Frontline GMS Ltd

-----Original Message----- From:
owner-liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu
[mailto:owner-liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu] On Behalf Of Anthony
Watkinson Sent: 02 July 2010 04:12 To:
liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu Subject: RE: Springer Open Choice
uptake affects 2011 journal pricing

Bill has now posted the sources and they are indeed not great
especially if you drill down through the references. I can see
the problem over the NIH figures: some publishers must be
charging a lot or the NIH figures (which I have not looked up)
cannot mean what they seem to mean. I repeat what I have said -
commercial publishers do not charge page charges usually and in
some large cases not at all. I made the qualification because my
informants made that qualifications. My own experience/practice I
mention. My picture is also that most non-US learned society
publishers do not charge page charges: perhaps someone from ALPSP
has firmer information on this latter poin: ALPSP have done a
number of surveys (mostly researched by John Cox) and he can
perhaps comment. I know he is on this list

Anthony