OASPA welcomes new members

ANNOUNCEMENT

OASPA welcomes the International Union of Crystallography and
Springer.

28 June 2010: OASPA welcomes two new members to the organization
this month- the International Union of Crystallography (IUCr) and
Springer.

The learned society publisher IUCr publishes a total of eight
peer reviewed journals, one of which is the highly popular open
access title, Acta Crystallographica Section E. The journal has
been open access since the start of 2008 and  publishes
approximately 4500 articles per year.

In describribing the IUCr's open access program, Managing Editor
Peter Strickland explains "As a small learned society publisher,
working on behalf of crystallographers worldwide, our aim is to
publish high-quality research articles and ensure that the
articles and their associated data sets are widely read and used.
We see open-acess publishing as a way of meeting this aim and, as
a member of OASPA, look forward to learning from the experiences
of other open-access publishers."

Springer's 2008 acquisition of BioMed Central marked the
company's entrance into the full open access publishing arena.
This action was followed by the introduction of an open access
publishing program over the last couple of years under the
publisher's own imprint, and today's announcement regarding
SpringerOpen: a suite of open access journals across disciplines.
Forthcoming titles under Springer Open will be published under a
Creative Commons Attribution License.

Commenting on Springer's membership, Wim  van der Stelt,
Executive Vice President of Business Development states,  "As the
world's largest open access publisher, it is only logical that
Springer has joined OASPA.  We will also continue to remain a
committed member of the International Association of STM
Publishers, as we see that both organizations can contribute to
best practices."

"The growing OASPA membership represents an increasingly diverse
set of publishers", according to OASPA President, Caroline
Sutton, "This is important for forming standards and best
practices that are viable across different types of publishing
organizations, in different subject areas and in different
geographic areas. The OASPA board is pleased to welcome these two
new publishers and looks forward to working with them to develop
open access publishing in their respective areas."

Caroline Sutton, PhD
Publisher
Co-Action Publishing