Re: Springer Open Choice uptake affects 2011 journal pricing

Bernd-Christoph,

My comments do not constitute an excuse. I asked a question: Why
would it be justified to expect a linear reduction in
subscription prices?

The fallacy is that subscription prices are just a "cost per
article times the number of articles published". As if the
(realistically expected) number of subscriptions do not matter.
Of course they do.  Only those who've never been, or looked into
the workings of, a publisher can think otherwise.

Publishers *do* and should reduce their prices as a result of OA
uptake. It's just not the simplistically straightforward and
naive calculation some critics expect it to be.

I'm not even defending publishers here; I'm defending sound
mathematics.

Jan Velterop