New media example

A fascinating consumer reference work was just brought to my
attention:

http://mtrip.com

Mtrip creates travel guides for the iPhone and iPad.  There is a
demo on the site, which is well crafted.

It takes but a small leap of imagination to see Mtrip and its
many inevitable kin beginning to shape the ways scholarly
reference works get created.  As the level of editorial work for
something like Mtrip is huge, the effort and cost of other kinds
of reference works is bound to rise.  This in turn will create
new barriers to finding audiences, as the best-produced services
are more likely to attract attention.  By "best" I don't mean
empty bells and whistles but features that provide real use to
readers.

I urge everyone to think about the implications of this.  This
list has seen countless posts over the past several years about
why scholarly communications can and should cost less and less.
There have been posts about such things as how little it takes to
disseminate scholarship and specific proposals for such unlikely
things as a comprehensive suite of complex services run by
volunteers and repositories for entire fields of research
supported by advertising.  (Advertising for what?  Blue jeans?
Toll-access publications?)  My personal favorite is the
suggestion that all it takes to disseminate scholarship is a
part-time system administrator and a Linux box.

Meanwhile, a visitor to the plush environments of some research
institutions--Stanford or Duke, say--is asked to imagine that
research faculty go home in the evening to a monkish cell, where
they don a hair shirt and sleep on a bed of nails.  The
incongruity of how we live and how we propose to read is
stunning.

Joe Esposito