Google Books settlement panel and ALA Task Force

FYI...  Bernie Sloan

--- On Mon, 6/21/10, M. Claire Stewart
<claire-stewart@northwestern.edu> wrote:

Subject: [lita-l] Google Books settlement panel and ALA Task Force
To: LITA-L@ALA.ORG
Date: Monday, June 21, 2010, 7:12 PM

LITA colleagues:

At the 2009 ALA Annual Conference, ALA Council approved a
resolution that requested the ALA President, with advice from the
ALA Executive Board, "to convene an ALA wide representative group
to continue to assess the proposed Google Book Search Settlement
and its ongoing impact on ALA members and member institutions to
make recommendations for action by the Association and its
members." I am currently serving as the LITA representative to
the ALA Task Force, which will meet through the 2011 Annual
Conference.

The Task Force has a space on ALA Connect, and I encourage all
interested LITA members to visit this space
<http://connect.ala.org/node/90049> and to share, either via that
forum or to me directly so that I may carry to the group, your
concerns or questions about the Proposed Settlement.

There will be a panel session on the Proposed Settlement at
Annual: The ALA Washington Office is hosting the ALA ad hoc
Google Task Force's breakout session titled "Panel Discussion on
Life after the Google Book Search Settlement (GBS)" which will
explore the possible court rulings - approval, denial or
permutation there in - and how libraries would be impacted.

The session will be held on Saturday, June 26 from 10:30 a.m. to
noon in Convention Center, Room 151B.

Jonathan Band, intellectual property attorney and counsel for the
ALA, will lead the discussion and pose questions to an expert
group of panelists.

Invited panelists include a representative from Google (Johanna
Shelton - confirmed), a professor from the New York University
Law School (James Grimmelmann - confirmed), a representative from
the U.S. Copyright Office and a librarian from a GBS
participating library.

M. Claire Stewart
Head, Digital Collections
Northwestern University Library