On the wide disparity in publisher cost-efficiency

Libraries and librarians are continuing to cope with the impact
of the global financial crisis, and I understand that some of us
are beginning to wonder why our libraries are facing deep budget
cuts and staff furloughs while a few of the largest commercial
publishers are boasting record profits.

Understandable, some are beginning to look for a better deal, and
personally I think this is a very good thing.  However, this
might be a good time to highlight that there is a very wide
discrepancy in the cost-effectiveness of different types of
publishers.  It it not fair, IMHO, to treat the mission-oriented
publisher that has never charged more than they needed to
survive, as if they were the same as the highly for-profit
publishers.  By all means, let's look for deals - but let's not
forget that a 3% increase to a $100 subscription is only $3,
while a 3% increase to a $1 million subscription is $30,000 - and
the $3 increase might mean the difference to survival for the
efficient publisher, while the for-profit would have to give up
more than $30,000 to even begin to have something resembling a
revenue cut of a much smaller order of magnitude than what is
faced by many a library.

One extreme example from our own profession:

As of today, the subscription list price for the for-profit
Library Management (Emerald) is EUR 11,819 (Ulrich's).   That's
$14,600 US (Bank of Canada currency conversion service, June 18,
2010).  Compare this with the MAXIMUM institutional cost for
ACRL's College and Research Libraries at $80 US for non-member
institutions outside of the US and Canada.  This is a difference
of well over a hundred fold in subscription cost for these two
journals, and I would argue that of the two, it is ACRL's College
and Research Libraries that is the more prestigious.  I do
acknowledge that single subscription costs are of limited
applicability in the world of bundled and largely consortial
pricing.  Also, this is an extreme example.  Cost differentials
in the range of 4 to 10-fold appear to be much more common (that
is, the cost of one journal on a per-article basis can be a four
to 10 times as much for another journal of similar or every
higher quality.  Imperfect though this example is,  it is
illustrative of the wide difference in costs between different
publishers which does not necessarily correlate in a positive
manner with quality.

The original analysis for this example is from my book, Scholarly
Communication for Librarians, Chandos Publishing: Oxford, 2009.
The cost differential has increased since the time the book was
written; the ACRL cost is stable, while the Emerald cost has
risen considerably.

[Disclosure:  I am co-coordinator of the ARL and ACRL Scholarly
Communication Institute webinar series, Building Strength through
Collaboration, however this has nothing to do with ACRL
publications or membership].

Heather Morrison, MLIS
The Imaginary Journal of Poetic Economics