The "post-browser" era

Apropos of a recent thread on this list, there is a very good
article in the Atlantic (yes, the Atlantic:  Who would have thunk
it?) on the "post-browser" era, in which the "free" economy of
the Web yields to the app-based monetization strategies forged by
Apple.  Here is the link:

http://j.mp/9ApwK1

So (the article suggests) information doesn't want to be free any
more; now it wants to be expensive.

Putting Internet philosophizing aside, what is already clear to
me is that there needs to be an app for the not-for-profit
academic community that can be shared by all authorized members.
If you don't know the world of iPad and iPhone apps, I suggest a
tour of the Apple site--or for that matter, the emergent app
store for the Android operating system.  Such an app or
application would enable the content of scholarly publishers to
be viewable on mobile devices.  This is a perfect area for
collaboration among not-for-profit players, as app development is
not technically trivial and the NFP universe has no need to "own"
the app or its users.  If such a shared resource is not developed
and supported, the NFP community will trail the better-resourced
commercial world by a great distance.  Such a shared app could be
used for library resources as well as formally published content.

Joe Esposito