Re: Interview w/Sarah Pritchard, Univ. librarian, Northwestern U.

What is the saying about overestimating the impact of new
technology in the short term while underestimating the long-term
impact?

I think we take it as a given that no one finishing primary
school this year will read anything on paper in college. When
exactly will we hit the threshold where most reading (excluding,
I'm sure, a niche of print readers just like we have a niche of
people who still buy vinyl): 3 years? 5 years? 10 years? Who
knows. But it will not be longer than that. This is not a fad. I
think we must assume that tablets/readers will be shortly

1. be cheap,

2. have resolution as good as paper (Apple's new iPhone 4 screen
is there already),

3. be very light light-weight,

4. come with interoperable and annotatable software.

Reading a 300 page monograph on screen will be commonplace
(insofar as reading of 300 page monographs is commonplace). Will
there be a few die hard print readers? Sure. And those die-hards
will no doubt keep the office toner people in business for
another decade, albeit with smaller margins than they make now.

Michael Clarke