Re: Interview w/Sarah Pritchard, Univ. librarian, Northwestern U.

What I meant by my romance novel comment was more along the lines
of...e-readers are still expensive compared to a pulp paperback.
I did not mean to imply that romance-genre readers are
technophobes...just that romance novels (and other genres like
them) are traditionally cheap.

Just a comment about technology that another poster correctly
notes may become cheap sooner rather than later. But, lets think
on that for a moment. The eco-cost of a paperback is probably
less than that of a cheap e-reader. Do we really want disposable
e-readers cluttering up our landfills (think mercury and
lead...)? Why are so many so keen to move away from the printed
book, especially since we finally got the damn thing to be pretty
sustainable?

Each semester I put a large portion the readings for my classes
as PDFs online (anthropology students with lots of reading). Even
though I allow them to bring in laptops to class, at least 3/4s
of my students still print out and bring in the articles. If I
were to insist the students purchase an "Annual Editions"
publication, which they then sold at the end of the semester,
which format would have a greater waste impact? I have not read
any study addressing this issue, can anyone suggest any? Do you
think its possible that my using digital readings is actually
increasing the paper wasted by my students? Is this reflective of
the greater academy?

If indeed the Kindle was going to revolutionize e-reading (or
whatever the next reader is), why isnt it developed toward the
university market (as someone noted earlier, the ready market due
to the level of digital text being read by the average student
today)?  As far as I can tell, both the Kindle and the Ipad are
just not ready for 1500 page textbooks on chemistry...why is
that? Because its a specialized market really aimed at
technophiles who want the newest toy.

As we all know, the publishing cost of academic journals is out
of hand. At UCSF we were told we have to incur a 400 % increase
in the subscription cost of a particular journal this last month.
If anything, we have seen the cost of digital journal
subscriptions increase tremendously as the publishers fight off
the OA movement (obviously). I still dont see the journal
publication/subscription problem as one of the access point, but
rather a strangle hold of the publishers as many in the field of
information science have already revealed.

I believe that the OA movement is more about opening up the
ability to share knowledge than it is about selling
e-readers...or moving away from the printed book. However, as
long as the corporate publishers own access to the major
journals, OA and OP will remain the red-headed step child of the
academic publishing world...

IMHO