"Books" in public

I took a count on an Acela Express train between New York and
Washington the other day.  Walked the length of the "business
class" (= coach) cars, witha bout 200-220 passengers.  51 were
reading or intending to read "books" of some kind, print and e-
(Kindle, Nook, iPad).

(Intending to read:  I did confirm that e-books are every bit as
functional as traditional print books for the purpose of holding
in your lap while dozing, but I counted them anyway as reflecting
a readerly *intention* at least.  The other 150 or so?  Many
laptops, many cell phones, fair amount of chatting, modest number
of magazines or "paperwork".)

Of the 51, 44 were printed volumes, 7 were e-books.  This is a
more affluent train population than you find on the "regional"
trains and it includes a lot of regular travelers.  Only one data
point at a moment in time.

Jim O'Donnell
Georgetown