NISO requests input on Journal Article Versions

Online publishing allows for the release of multiple versions of
journal articles -- and these growing practices are redefining
our concept of "publishing" and the "version of record." How do
we determine when a manuscript is considered final? Which version
should be cited? How do we best indicate online article versions?

In 2008, NISO published the Recommended Practice, "Journal
Article Versions (JAV): Recommendations of the NISO/ALPSP JAV
Technical Working Group" (NISO RP-8-2008; available at
http://www.niso.org/publications/rp). The recommended version
classifications could be incorporated into article metadata for
database management, archiving and cataloging, online display,
and more.

Now, NISO would like to hear what you think -- how do you manage
version control of journal articles? Are you amenable to industry
standards for online versions? Who is responsible for managing
such version metadata? Please take a moment to contribute your
perspectives by answering this short survey by July 16, 2010. It
should take no more than five minutes to complete. Following the
survey, a report of the results will be made available on the
NISO website.

The survey can be found at: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/PBJSPKR

Thank you for your time!

Best,
Karen Wetzel, Standards Program Manager, NISO
Lettie Conrad, Online Product Manager, SAGE Publications, Inc.

Cynthia Hodgson
NISO Technical Editor Consultant
National Information Standards Organization
Email: chodgson@niso.org
Phone: 301-654-2512