RE: Ithaka S+R Faculty Survey 2009

This is a historical point so do turn off here.

I am not sure that Alan is right in his remarks in the third and
fourth paragraphs.

I started my career in publishing in 1971 and was editorial
director of Academic Press London during part of that decade. We
did not use page charges except in the case of one journal and
these page charges were inappropriately levied by a very high
profile journal editor to improve speed to publication. The
publisher did not know this!

We all know how moralistic librarians and publishers are about
their practices and in this case I was brought up to believe from
the start that page charges were immoral because they were an
impediment to publishing. If you are based outside the US this is
more likely to be an obvious way of looking at them. Outside the
US grants did not on the whole allow page charges to be claimed.
However my memory is that the journals of Academic Press NY did
not levy page charges.

Incidentally this is not a matter of a distinction between
commercial and not-for-profit. I was later head of journals at
OUP. I do not think we levied page charges

Anthony