Re: May issue of the SPARC Open Access Newsletter

If I may push this up one level in the taxonomy:  the entire
church-and-state principal is such a key component of publishing
that it is truly rare to hear even the most hard-nosed financial
types speak against it.  I was once told by an industry veteran
and colleague that "the only thing that can get you fired around
here is if you meddle with the editors."

Are there exceptions, creeps, and so forth?  I'm sure there are.
But creeps are rare in publishing.  Most people get into the
field because they like being in an intellectually stimulating
environment.

As for the difference between OA and toll-access models for this
issue, I do believe that author-pays systems are potentially more
prone to abuse.  But the instances of such abuse that have come
to light have been challenged aggressively. I recall that Stevan
Harnad, with whom I don't often agree, was unstinting in his
condemnation of inappropriate practices.

Of course, eternal vigilance and all that.  But if every industry
subscribed to the ethical practices of publishing, it would be a
better world.

BTW, I work in the software industry now.  Whew!

Joe Esposito