RE: Ithaka S+R Faculty Survey 2009

I think Sandy makes a very important point about 'unintended
consequences' - it can happen to anyone, but I think Governments
and funding agencies are very prone to this with legislation and
policy implementation, particularly if they don't understand the
system they are dealing with, and even more so when they think
they do understand, but don't.

Here's another example, still possibly relevant today, but from a
few decades ago, as related to me by a very respected US
publisher. The page charge system was relatively popular in some
disciplines in the USA, and had some good arguments in support of
it (and of course still exists). Now, if I remember correctly,
the National Science Foundation (NSF) allowed their grants to
carry an allocation for the payment by authors of page charges,
but only if the publisher were a not-for-profit (this must have
been one of the first occasions when an agency appeared to take
an 'anti-commercial publisher' stance?). Clearly they felt that
their money should not go into the coffers of a 'commercial.'

Then some of the large European publishers made a bit of a virtue
out of a necessity, and proclaimed that no page charges were
necessary in their journals, and it became a standard line for
all start-up journals from almost any source.

Now the director of one of the largest American Society
publishers told me that the effect of this was to entice good
European and then US authors to some of those journals, so much
so that he had to gather and present evidence to his Governing
Board that this was happening to some of the best papers they
would have hoped to publish, and damaging their US journals - and
they reacted by reducing page charges to try to regain the
ground, such that, eventually, page charge income reduced
significantly - and library subscription prices had to rise to
retain viability. It's pointless, but nevertheless interesting,
to speculate what might have happened if that (the NSF policy)
hadn't happened - would page charges have spread further, to a
point that, in the electronic age, the 'Gold' OA route would have
been so well primed that a transition to it would have been
seamless and easy? Probably not. But I wouldn't mind betting that
the consequence of the NSF policy was not one that they intended.

Alan

Alan Singleton
Editor
Learned Publishing