Re: Ithaka S+R Faculty Survey 2009

Just the kind of very thoughtful response I was hoping to
provoke! I would only add that I agree the tradition-bound P&T
process must shoulder a lot of blame for the problems we have all
encountered, and that ultimately the various crises which each of
our sectors is facing can only be solved by an approach that
involves every sector working together.

As I pointed out in the case of revised dissertations, libraries,
publishers, and P&T committees are each acting "rationally" in
their own narrow self-interest, but the effect of this subsystem
rationality is to create dysfunctionality for the system as a
whole. Unfortunately, universities are so used to working as a
congeries of independent units that they don't know how, it
seems, to solve this problem of "unintended consequences" at the
university-wide level. And the same is true for the university
system as a whole, which is why we have gone on so long with only
a handful of universities directly supporting scholarly
communication by operating presses while the rest are all "free
riders" on the system contributing nothing directly to it
(except, for some, the occasional faculty publication
subvention).

I've been writing about this problem for a long time. See, e.g.,
my essay on "Thinking Systematically about the Crisis in
Scholarly Communication:

http://www.arl.org/resources/pubs/specscholmono/thatcher.shtml

Maybe it's time for the AAUP, ARL, AAU, and CNI to convene
another conference to discuss the issues at this broader level,
as they did in two conferences in the late 1990s at one of which
I delivered this talk?

Sandy Thatcher