Re: May issue of the SPARC Open Access Newsletter

One point that should be clarified - it is not publishers who
decide whether papers are accepted or refused, but editors. Most
publishers (at least those who operate ethically) do not
interfere with editorial decisions. Therefore at the moment they
are not in a position to legislate against accepting articles
from the "FRPAA agencies."

I believe at the moment there is a "watching brief" but if
publishers start to believe that such mandates will cost them
sufficient money as to endanger their business, they may try to
ban papers from such authors - but if this happens there will be
a battle with the editors on the issue of editorial independence.

Peter - you mention some *profitable* OA publishers who do not
charge author fees. Can you provide some names (or point me to a
resource), so I can clarify where they obtain their income from -
thanks

Pippa

Pippa Smart
Research Communication and Publishing Consultant
PSP Consulting
email: pippa.smart@gmail.com
Web: www.pspconsulting.org