Re: peer review costs

On Thu, 6 May 2010, Dr. Oliver Obst wrote:

> Dear Stevan,
>
>> because users are satisfied with the Green OA version, ...
>
> is there any evidence for that? I recently filled out a
> questionnaire from the Medical Library Association asking
> exactly this. We provide NEJM via Ovid as publishers' HTML and
> they're not even satisfied by that, so I answered: "No, they
> will only be satisfied by the journals formatted postprint
> PDF."

No evidence whatsoever -- and all existing evidence is to the
contrary, namely, that in the few fields (like high energy
physics) where there is already virtually 100% Green OA, there
are no journal cancellations!

That is why every single time I have reluctantly speculated about
the contingencies I have carefully said IF AND WHEN users are
satisfied with the Green OA version only...

But the point that is being systematically missed by so many
people -- OA advocates and opponents alike -- is that OA is not
about -- or for -- journal publication costs or journal
publication reform: It is about research access, usage and
impact.

And universal Green OA will solve that problem whether or not it
reduces publishing to peer review alone.

Stevan Harnad